Friday, August 23, 2013

Friday Fun - Crazy Hair Day

I'm not above doing anything to get my kids involved with a story.  I wanted to teach my students about that climatic moment in a tale when the story shifts.  I had a hard time figuring out just what  the Google request should be. I finally found a great lesson using the book Crazy Hair Day by Barney Salztberg with the activating strategy of wearing some crazy hair. 

I sent an email to our school staff to see who would let me borrow some wacky do for the day.  The first response I got was from one of our newest members this year.  Ms. Jessica King just happened to have a Holograms wig in her desk. It was bright pink.

I wore it as the kids came in that morning.  The responses I got were interesting. They wanted to call me Ms. They had no clue what I was up to. Which is just perfect.  I want to keep them guessing.  When I picked up the book,  they totally got it.  

Most of them had heard the tale of the little porcupine that got his days mixed up.  You can imagine his surprise when he shows up thinking it's crazy hair day,  when in fact it's the class picture day. 
They enjoyed thinking like the character as they wrote diary entries that the porcupine,  Stanley, might have written throughout his wacky day.  

It really helped me launch my reader's response idea.  More about that later.
Just a side note.  Any one want to see a shot of me in a pink wig?  Well,  even if you didn't,  here it is:

No comments: