Sunday, August 09, 2015

Shark Week as a class theme

Color me crazy, but I love Shark Week.



They are such amazing creatures who have weathered the passage of time. Yes, they can be scary, but they really don't like the taste of humans. So I'm good with that. I just won't be going surfing off the coast of North Carolina any time soon.

It was during this shock filled week that some blogging friends got together and created a super fun Blog Hop. As I was carefully going through the Hop so as not to miss any of the goodies to be had, that it hit me.

Why not have Shark Week as a class theme this year? What a great way to extend the summer fun.

Love it!

I started the wheels turning and did some research into ideas that I had. There was a perfect book to read during the first week


Clark is a shark with zing, bang, and BOOM. Clark zooms into school, crashes through the classroom, and is rowdy at recess. Clark loves life—but when his enthusiasm is too much for his friends, Clark's teacher, Mrs. Inkydink, helps him figure out a way to tone it down.
Clark the Shark celebrates boisterous enthusiasm—and knowing when it's time for indoor voices!

I immediately ordered it from Amazon and when it came I left it in the wrapper so I can truly share a moment with my new group of students.

I tracked down some plastic sharks to give to each of my kiddos as they arrived on the first day. They were not cheap, let me tell ya. But they are fun. I also looked into shark teeth necklaces, but my wallet was already groaning. Maybe for Christmas?

On a trip through Jo-Anns I bumped into a fun little 50 piece puzzle for Shark Week. It fit perfectly into my evil master plan to conquer the world build some teamwork into my class.


Tomorrow is the first day of a new year. I think I am ready. As they come in I have a large shark tooth out on their desk with their names on it. I'm going to have them color and decorate them with things they like to do or are good at. Then I'll string them along the back of the room to create a class banner.

I'll let you know how it goes! Wish me luck in a comment below and let me know what your class theme is going to be.

No comments: